MV Drives Power Electronics R&D Senior Engineer – Power Drive System Design (80-100%)
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future. At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
The Medium Voltage (MV) Drives R&D team is in charge of the design and development of the power electronics frequency converters subjected to multiple operation conditions and constraints required on different application fields and industries such as marine, renewable energies, oil and gas, food industry, metals, water, etc. In such a framework and as part the Power Electronics and Components R&D team, we are looking for a Senior R&D Power Electronics Engineer with special focus on MV Drives system design, specification, testing and qualification of the main components of whole Power Drive System.
This position reports to
R&D Team Lead
- Member of the MV Drives - Power Electronics and Components R&D team leading the system design, specification, testing and qualification of the main components and sub-systems of the MV frequency converters families ACSX0X0. The tasks cover the phases from the conceptual design of the Power Electronics Converter Systems using simulation tools to their final validation in the R&D labs including the qualification of components, subassemblies, and the full conversion line.
- R&D technical support to the MV Drives Product Platform organizations: product management, sales, engineering, supply chain management, service, etc.
- Contribution to the maintenance and further development of the key Power Electronics Technologies Expertise and Know-How of the MV Drives Power Electronics and Components R&D team, including IP, Certification and Standards activities.
- You will be part of advanced R&D activities in the field of power electronics for the existing and next generation of ABB MV Drives products, in close cooperation with a highly qualified senior team of R&D engineers and scientists.
- University Master degree, PhD or equivalent expertise and practical experience in the field of electrical engineering with focus on Power Electronics and orientation to High Power and Medium Voltage converters’ design and applications.
- Background experience in multi megawatt Medium Voltage Power Electronics Converters’ system design and development, is desired and an advantage.
- Experience in modelling, simulation and system design analysis using state of the art simulation and engineering tools.
- High interest and focus on practical experimentation, testing and validation in MV lab environment and new products and functionalities’ introduction to the market. Expertise in solutions and components qualification including reliability testing in MV environment is desired and advantageous.
- Interest in applied research and development, self-organized, motivated person, that likes to work in a highly qualified research and development team composed of experts in different domains.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. German is a plus.
More about us
ABB System Drives is a global supplier of high-power, high-performance drives, drive systems and packages for industrial processes and large infrastructure applications. With our industry leading technology and global support, we help our customers, partners and equipment manufacturers with asset reliability, performance improvement and energy efficiency in mission critical applications. Our people and culture are the foundation of our success. We all together make the difference for our customers every day. We look forward to receiving your application (documents submitted in English are appreciated). The recruiting process is being led by Peter Reinhardt, Talent Partner ABB Switzerland Ltd. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com. ABB Data Privacy Statement: https://new.abb.com/privacy-notice/candidate Work model: hybrid #LI-hybrid